• Over 250 species of wildflowers bloom this month in our fields and forests.
• Mexican free-tailed bats begin raising young.
• Peak of warbler migration happens very early in month.
• The first half of the month is peak migration for flycatchers, thrushes and northerly vireos.
• Peak of bird courtship. Listen for the morning chorus.
• Nesting materials are being collected.
• The first fireflies of the year can be seen.
• Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, Wood Duck and Mallard ducklings hatch and venture forth early this month.
• International Migratory Bird Day is mid-May.